Friday

Daily Update: August 19, 2011

Daily Update: August 19, 2011

Today we honor Saint John Eudes, Priest (diedВ 1680).

Born in 1601В in Ri, Normandy, France, today’s Saint was a farmer’s son who attended the Jesuit college at Caen at age 14.JoiningВ the Congregation of the Oratory of France, he studied at Paris and AubervilliersВ before becoming a priest.В He ministered to plague victims and was a missionary and preacher, working well over 100 missions.He also worked against Jansenism and established seminaries.In 1641 he founded the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of the Refuge, to provide a refuge for prostitutes who wished to do penance.In 1643 he left the Oratory and founded the Congregation of Jesus and Mary (Eudists)В to promote virtuous secular parochial clergy not bound by vows, but dedicated to improving the clergy through seminaries and missions; due to opposition by Oratorians and Jansenists, he never obtained papal approval.He was also the author of the liturgical devotion of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary; the feast of the Holy Heart of Mary was celebrated for the first time in 1648, and that of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1672.In 1674 he obtained from Pope Clement X six bulls of indulgences for the Confraternities of the Sacred Heart already erected or to be erected in the seminaries.He was canonized in 1925, and is the Patron Saint of the Diocese of Baie-Comeau, QuГ©bec.

Last night, along about 7:30 pm, a very large and noisy thunderstorm took out our power, which fact I noted when I woke up to no fans in the room and no light from my alarm clock.Along about 9:30 pm, I awoke again to the fans coming back on, and re-set the alarm clock.

When I woke up for work, I found that Tropical Depression Eight had formed (more anon).We went unto work today; Richard was the dealer on Let It Ride Poker, and I was the relief dealer for Mini-Baccarat, Pai-Gow Poker, and (only one time, in our first hour of work) for Richard on Let It Ride Poker.I called the pharmacy to renew a prescription, and started my reading of The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver, which I am enjoying reading.After work we picked up my prescription and a prescription for Richard, and stopped at Super 1 Foods on our way home so that Richard could get salad supplies for me (more anon).Once home, I ate my lunch salad and read the morning paper, and realized that I could not make more salads until I got more salad cheese, which I had forgotten to tell Richard that we needed.Once I got on the computer, I found that Tropical Depression Eight had turned into Tropical Storm Harvey (more anon).I then worked on my project of putting the books from my Books Read lists on Goodreads; I finished with 2000, and am now up through March 2001 in getting the proper Dates Read input on Goodreads.(I know the month in which I read my books, from 1999 onwards, and also the month; so for months before April 2009 (when I started this incarnation of my Weblog) I guesstimate the date to keep the books in proper order.)

At 4:30 pm we watched Jeopardy!and ate chicken jambalaya for dinner.And now, having done my Daily Update for today, I will try to wind things up and get to bed.(My nightly bedtime reading has been The Collected Short Stories of Eudora Welty; and I have been reading a very long short story («The June Recital») for several days now, before I drop off to sleep.I will be glad when I see the end of that particular story, although I am enjoying Eudora Welty’s writing no end.)

In the Tropics, we have Tropical Storm Harvey looks like it will climb up the spine of Mexico, moving across the shore of Belize on Saturday night or Sunday morning.A large tropical wave 800 miles east of the Lesser Antilles has a 40 percent chance of becoming a Tropical Cyclone within the next 48 hours, and a broad low pressure system some 175 miles southeast of the Cape Verde Islands has a 50 percent chance of becoming a Tropical Cyclone within the next 48 hours.

Tomorrow is Saturday, which means work, lunch & paper, Adoration, and 4:00 pm Saturday Anticipation Ma*s.(I much prefer to attend that Ma*s, as my only other choice is at 6:00 pm on Sunday night, which makes for very short sleep for me on Sunday evening.)

Our Parting Quote thisВ Friday comes to us from Don Hewitt, American television news producer and executive.Born as Donald Hewitt in 1922 in New York City, his father was a Jewish immigrant from Russia and his mother’s family was of German Jewish descent.Hewitt’s family moved to Boston, Ma*sachusetts, shortly after his birth, where his father worked as a cla*sified advertising manager for the Boston Herald American.His family later lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.He graduated from high school inВ New Rochelle, New York, andВ attended New York University.HeВ started his journalism career in 1942 as head copyboy for the New York Herald Tribune.Hewitt joined the United States Merchant Marine Academy in 1943; after World War II ended in 1945, he returned to his job as copyboy for the Tribune, then worked for The Associated Press at a bureau in Memphis, Tennessee.However, his wife, whom he married while working in Memphis,В  wanted to go to New York City, so he moved back toВ New York City andВ started working at the E.W.Scripps Company-owned photo agency ACME Newspictures, which was later merged into co-owned news service United Press.В Soon he received a lucrative offer at the CBS television network, which was seeking someone who had «picture experience» to help with production of television broadcasts.Hewitt started at its news division, CBS News, in 1948 and served as producer-director of the network’s evening-news broadcast with Douglas Edwards for fourteen years.He was also the first director of See It Now, co-produced by host Edward R.Murrow and Fred W.Friendly that started in 1952; his use of two film projectors cutting back and forthВ broke up the monotony of a talking head, improved editing, and shaped future news broadcasts..В In 1956 Hewitt was the only one to capture on film the final moments of the SS Andrea Doria as it sank and disappeared under the water.HeВ directed the televised production of the 1960 U.S.Presidential candidate debates between Richard Nixon and John F.Kennedy; they were the first presidential-candidate debates ever televised.He later became executive producer of the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite, helming the famous broadcast of John F.Kennedy’s a*sa*sination as the story developed.He then launched the eight-time Emmy Award-winning show 60 Minutes in 1968.Within ten years, the show reached the top 10 in viewership, a position it maintained for 21 of the following 22 seasons, until the 1999-2000 season.In addition to several Peabody Awards given to 60 Minutes, Hewitt was given a personal Peabody Award in 1988 for his accomplishments.В Hewitt was a primary figure in the 1996 tobacco-industry scandal involving tobacco company Brown & Williamson and 60 Minutes.The scandal was the inspiration for the 1999 film The Insider: Hewitt was portrayed in the film by Philip Baker Hall.Declining ratings at 60 Minutes,, after decades of being in the top 10 the show had dropped in rankings to number 20, contributed to what became a public debate in 2002 about whether it was time for CBS to replace Hewitt at 60 Minutes.Within a couple of years, Hewitt stepped aside as executive producer at the age of 81, signing a ten-year contract with CBS to be an executive producer-at-large for CBS News.В In 1993 he and 60 Minutes were elected to the National Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame.On April 3, 2008, Hewitt was honored with Washington State University’s Edward R.Murrow Award for Lifetime Achievement in Broadcast Journalism (died 2009): «I’m going to stay at CBS until I go gaga.They signed me forever.»


[zeezal] Latest Photographs In Beautiful Model Bipasha Basu