Friday

Ode to Project Runway

Ode to Project Runway
Well, the new season of Project Runway on Lifetime (the vagina network) starts tomorrow night.В Between that and The Closer, the madam is in television heaven.В 

Like all relationships, PR (Project Runway) and I have had our ups and downs.В It started out like all great romances - HOT AND HEAVY.В I lived for every episode, read all the commentary and felt out of control emotionally during the judging sessions.В I've always experienced inappropriate anxiety during television shows, dating back to I Dream of Jeannie reruns during my toddlerhood.I would sit in the tv room with my grandmother, who was ALWAYS ironing, and feel genuine agida whenever I thought Dr.Bellows was going to figure out that Jeannie was a GENIE!В I can still remember the smell of the steam iron as it hit the cotton shirts, the slight hissing sounds and my complete distress.В Of course, back then, I wasn't aware that I was being manipulated by the show itself.В Now I know better, and I'm still a wreck!

I do watch reality television but I only really enjoy this show.В The others tend to make me feel dirty, and I can barely make it through an episode of the Real Housewives from ANY city.В So many of these shows feature the ugliest aspects of human behavior.В PR contestants may have their quirks and icky personality traits, but bottom line, they have to PERFORM a skill.В These people make amazing things!In 24 hours, with sewing machines.В With the exception of the occasionally flaky "I just wrap fabric around the mannequin" conceptual designers (Remember PING????Or MALVIN???- who made the maternity outfit that was supposed to be an egg?), these people are amazing.В 
Wacky Ping
The Egg "concept" - just what I would wear when pregnant...NOT
Super Wacky Malvin

Look, I can sew...alittle.В Grandma Ovary was a big sewer and made my freshman prom dress, which was really quite lovely.В And we learned in Home Economics, too.В When I stopped working, Mr.O got me a new sewing machine and I dabbled in baby blankets and even made a king size dustruffle and throw pillows for my room.В But let me tell you, it is hard and I generally stink at it.В So I have incredible respect for these people and what they can create.В 

But without a doubt, the ONE reason to watch PR is The Gun, Tim Gunn.В I.Love.That.Man.В I've purchased all his books and will probably cave in and get a T shirt or something this season.В As someone who is gives critiques off the top of my head to my own students, I am forever amazed at the things he says off the top of his head about the clothes.В It is always so RIGHT ON.В I also love the way he tells the "auf'd" designer they have to leave.В He makes every single one feel special, even when he's kicking them out.В Now that is a real talent, and communication gift.В I think his gift is that he is sincere.A lot of people think being honest entitles them to any kind of "delivery" but it takes an empathic and special person to speak the truth in a gentle way.В As a matter of fact, it really irritates me when someone uses "just being honest" as a justification for abrasive and rude behavior.В It's that old excuse, "Well, you know me, this is how I am." В Bullshit - work a little harder, please.В Maybe "who you are" is not so great, eh?

Of course, I also loves the clothes, as my stuffed closet proves.В So that's always fun.В I get particularly excited, as a former unfashionable nerd who dressed like holly hobby until age 42), when my personal critique and judging "matches" the expert judges!В I'll say, "wow, the proportions are all wrong" and they say it and I'm just beside myself with joy because it means I am hopefully no longer walking around looking like a grandma.В It also means that I'm avoiding the other swing of the pendulum of walking around looking like a deranged 50 year old hooker.В It's good to know when a skirt is actually too short, no matter how nice you think your legs are.В Speaking of legs, how come noone tells you that your KNEES fall down as you age?В WTF????В Cool Girl pointed this out to me on herself a few years ago and I looked down at mine and thought JESUS, it's true!!!!

I also like PR because my kids can't help watching it with me.В Even Middle will weigh in sometimes.В Right now, Baby Girl and I are watching all the season marathons leading up to tomorrow's big premiere.В She is amazingly insightful, too.В I can definitely see Baby Girl in some sort of creative field, even fashion, despite her current penchant for looking like a homeless child.В She is now in dance (I broke down and found a "down to earth" dance school where the girls don't look like prostitots at their recitals.(Hey Ashley, you taught me that word!) В We also have a PR drawing game where you spin this arrow and it gives you a "challenge" and let me tell ya, Baby Girl drew this dress that had to relate to a board game, and it's like a checker board combined with a Chess set and it's gorgeous.В I want to send it to Tim Gunn for a critique.

The season we are watching now features Althea, a young lady from DAYTON, Ohio, so of course I love it.В Love her - she's kind and talented and funny, too.В Her hair is a little too blonde but I think due to financial circumstances, she has to dye it herself and we all know how that goes.В Plus she's got that young girl "too heavy" eyeliner going on, and we all know how that goes, too.В Don't you remember just rimming your inner lower eye lid with eye liner mindlessly?В Back and forth, back and forth...not realizing you are making your eye look ridiculously small and icky?

Hot Logan
Right now Althea is questioning why Logan is still on the show since he's never won a challenge.В SILLY RABBIT!В He is a hot straight guy!В THAT's WHY!!!В I could watch Logan make mediocre clothes all day long!В He's one of those effeminate heterosexuals, but just slightly?В He's on the thin side, with the long hair and the big chunky leather bracelet - the kind of guy you like when you're young and virginal because he's almost pretty and therfore not sexually threatening?В Like Justin Bieber today.В God, that reminds me of Leif Garrett from our era.В Remember him?В Now he looks like a scary thug!

Alrighty then, I just accidentally punched Baby Girl in the arm, I thought LIGHTLY, but she is crying and claiming it hurts.В The love punch stemmed from the fact that she was about to be rude to Cocoa, who is stomping around here putting laundry away happily, because she "drank a beeah and has a good freakin' buzz on." В I totally understand.В I love doing housework slightly buzzed.В It is so much less boring.В Add a little 80s music and I can almost convince myself I'm at a party.
News: Samuel Kohan, PhD, Psychoanalyst Video