Saturday

A lunch in the city lifts our spritis

A lunch in the city lifts our spritis My wife noted the bisque didn't have any lobster pieces, but thought it was the best she has had.Her opinion of the barbecue sauce with her entree of roasted, dark-meat chicken on the bone wasn't as high.Grilled octopus was listed as another entree choice, but when I ordered it, I was told the kitchen was serving something else instead.The waiter, Eduardo, who is В from Brazil, read from a note, "P-R-A-W-N."The prawn was at least 4 inches long, including the tail and head, and it rested on a generous bed of tasty, small white beans with zucchini pieces and micro herbs.I demolished it, leaving only the beady eyes.I recalled the emaciated, bony, wh*le John Dory fish I ordered at our first $24.07 lunch at Esca a few days earlier.The next day, during my annual physical, my doctor put it succinctly, calling Esca "overrated and overpriced."We had a reservation, but the place was only one-third full.Service was excellent, and I gave Eduardo an 18% tip.Later, we looked over the new TKTS office, where half-price tickets to Broadway shows are available on the day of the performance.Credit cards are accepted now, in contrast to the old, cash-only days.We returned to the bus station along 42nd Street, and I reminisced about my summers as a teen-ager working at D.C.Record City, which specialized in oldies from the Fifties (rock-and-roll 45s) and jazz LPs.We had a wonderful afternoon in a great city.I even remembered to ask for the senior round-trip fare when we board the Manhattan-bound bus in Hackensack ($3.80 v.$8.50).Ca Va Bra*serie, 310 W.44th St., Manhattan; 212-803-4545.
royston langdon wiki